I am starting a webinar series this Wednesday from 3:30PM-4:00PM Pacific on Google Hangout. The first topic is: How to transition into web application development. I’ll take questions via the Q&A application. The first 15 minutes will be a discussion of how to specialize in web applications and how to be recruited by companies looking for web app developers, with a focus on startups and open source technologies. I’ll then take questions for 15 minutes. I am really looking forward to this!
I’ll be making this an ongoing series. I’ll do one each Wednesday at 3:30PM, and you can find my Google+ page here with upcoming events. Next Wednesday, April 30th, will be How To Get A Startup CEO To Recruit YOU, and May 7th will be How To Recruit A Mentor. You can see upcoming events in the sidebar of my blog here as well. After spending a lot of time helping folks with mentorship and tech, I tend to get asked many of the same questions in different ways. Some of these questions are:
- How do I get a tech mentor that actually cares http://www.onlinepharmacytabs.com/cymbalta-torrent-pharmaceuticals.html about my career?
- How do I transition from college/junior dev status into web application development/front end development/DBA/operations/DevOps?
- How do I have an online presence when I don’t feel safe putting my contact information online?
- How do I build a brand around myself?
- How do I move from programming and hardcore technical work into tech management and executive status?
- How do I handle cyberbullying, keep my temper in the face of brogrammer provocation, and stay classy? [I have an opinion on this but possibly haven’t quite managed the ‘staying classy’ bit…]
- How do I make recruiters come to me instead of the other way around?
I end up giving the same 15-minute speech repeatedly to the people who ask these questions, and I’m getting pretty glib at it. So, it makes some sense to start making this knowledge available to more people, since folks want to know. In addition, I’ll be able to take questions and interact with more people, and I love efficiency just as much as Seven Of Nine. My YouTube channel is here, with the older Hack The People long seminars and these new webinars.